Wednesday, October 31, 2007
Happy Halloween!!
My sister hooked us up with a condo in the resort-choked Ka'anapali for two nights which was a blessing to have during all the hubbub of Halloween in Lahaina. In the morning we went back up to Honolua Bay where you have to hike through a small forest before you get to its rocky shore, and I snorkeled despite a sore throat and major headache. The bay is partially brackish water so you have to swim pretty far out to get clearer visibility. There was also a lot of leaf debris. The wana (sea urchins) like to disguise themselves with pieces of shell or coral, but all the wana here wrapped themselves in fallen leaves! Snorkeling is da bomb! I love floating over coral and swimming with the brightly colored fish. Saw some I've never seen before. Neat. I saw a huge moral eel poking his head from out under a rock, his jaw opening and closing, all those sharp little teeth making him look so menacing. There were the hugest papi'o I've ever seen, maybe 3 feet long. They're usually a deep sea fish and it was surprising to see them here. My favorite part of this session was encountering a school of some kind of silver fish. They were in a long line so I just swam alongside this shimmering wall, at times about 10 feet tall. Way cool!

Then back to the condo to get dressed. I forgot that mom was a professional wig fitter back in the 70's, and I was impressed with her hair hiding technique: braiding my hair 4 ways, pinning it just so, "it's all about the criss cross" she said, and making hair "latches" in the front and back so the wig doesn't slip around.


Mom was a devil-ette. Jimi was hit! I felt like a total celebrity with everyone calling out, "Jimi!" "Hey Hendrix!" "Dude Purple Haze!" "Play me a song" or "I remember those days!" I had to pose for a million pictures too, probably going to be all over the internet. We just walked up and down Front Street in Lahaina and ran into Garth, Elvis, and Jesus! among other great costumes. No other Jimis though, and at least 10 Jack Sparrows. If we had all night I would have entered the $1000 costume contest, but we left after a few hours when it started to rain and I was feeling really lousy.







Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
oh my god, elvis and jimi... am i in the beyond?!
Post a Comment